My friend Loriana Hernandez began an aggressive dual chemotherapy protocol yesterday that will last 72 solid hours. Being the warrior that she is, she immediately set a goal to walk the halls of her floor at John Hopkins 26 times each day. 0.04 miles in each lap. 26 laps in a mile. I know that mile is 100 times more difficult than any distance race I’ve ever run- without question.
Think running a marathon is tough? Walking a mile through the hospital ward while toting the machine that is obliterating your immune system is more extreme than any ultra marathon on my bucket list. Yet Loriana remains dedicated to seeing this goal through, and in the past two days she has fallen only 6 combined laps behind her mile a day goal.
Just .25 miles short.
I think we can make up the deficit for her!
On my running plan this weekend is just six little miles, but I told Loriana that each mile would be filled with positive and intentional thoughts for her victory:
- Mile One is for HOPE
- Mile Two is for STRENGTH
- Mile Three is for RESILIENCE
- Mile Four is for PATIENCE
- Mile Five is for TENACITY
- Mile Six is for ENDURANCE
- + another .25 miles for good measure
As you strike out on you weekend long run, keep Loriana in mind. Donate a mile (or six) of your mental miles during your run to intentional throughs for her victory and healing. Run an extra quarter mile to help her close the goal in her gap. Or heck, log a PR with her in your heart…. and then take a moment to let her know via social media (see below) that we’ve got her covered.
We have the great privilege of being the running legs for a true warrior right now; don’t take a footfall of your run for granted!
How can you help Loriana’s battle?
- Got positive thoughts, meditations, or prayers? Harness that positivity for Loriana during and after your runs.
- Got social media? Let Loriana know that you are fighting for her and here to encourage her via twitter (@lorianahernande, #lorianaswin, #26laps), facebook, or comment on her blog.
- Got spare change? Donate to help fund Loriana’s fight!
- Got marrow? Loriana is looking for a bone marrow donor. The doctors are particularly interested in females of Cuban or Italian heritage as they might field a successful match.